Home News Personal Tax Are you claiming a tax refund for all your work expenses?


Are you claiming a tax refund for all your work expenses?

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is reminding employed workers that they can claim a refund on work-related expenses directly through GOV.UK.

You must have paid tax in the year you’re claiming for. You’ll get tax relief based on what you’ve spent and the rate at which you pay tax.

Workers can claim for work-related expenses including:

  • uniforms and work clothing;
  • buying work-related equipment;
  • professional fees, union memberships, and subscriptions; and
  • using their own vehicle for work travel (excluding journeys from home to work).

For some claims, you must keep records of what you’ve spent.

You can claim for this tax year and the 4 previous tax years.

If your claim is for the current tax year, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually adjust your tax code so you pay less tax.

If your claim is for previous tax years, HMRC will either adjust your tax code or give you a tax refund.

See: Claim tax relief for your job expenses: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Looking for advice? Check out our full range of services. From payroll help to taxation advice, our expert team is available to lend a hand.

How can we help you?

Brearley & Co Accountants are pleased to offer a free, no obligation, initial consultation with one of our experts who will be happy to discuss your business needs and how we can help you.