Home News Personal Tax Capital gains tax changes self assessment taxpayers need to know


Capital gains tax changes self assessment taxpayers need to know

HMRC is reminding taxpayers that they have until 31 January 2021 to declare any profit made from selling a UK residential property, which was not their main home, during the 2019-20 financial year.

Since 6 April 2020 there have been changes to how taxpayers declare and pay CGT. UK residents who dispose of a UK residential property that is not their main home and make a capital gain where there is tax to pay, should use the online service to inform HMRC and pay the tax due within 30 days of completion.

Non-UK residents disposing of UK land and property should also use the online service, regardless of whether there is a gain or not.

The new rules affect landlords or property developers selling on part of their residential property portfolio, or UK residents who sell a residential property that is not their primary home.

Karl Khan, HMRC’s interim director general for customer services, said: ‘The 2019-20 tax year is the last year UK residents will be required to pay the capital gains tax for the sale of properties as part of the self assessment process and we want to make sure they are aware of the new requirements.

‘We are making it easier for customers to pay any tax that is owed. UK residents, including property developers and landlords, should now use the online service to make any capital gains tax declarations immediately after selling a residential property.’

Taxpayers will still be required to inform HMRC of any CGT liabilities on their 2020-21 self assessment tax return, however, any payments that have already been paid will not count towards their annual tax return bill.

Anyone selling a UK property that is their main residence will not be affected.

Taxpayers will continue to complete their tax return as now for any other CGT declarations in the future. They will pay tax on any profit, above their tax-free allowance, when they sell:

  • most personal possessions worth over £6,000, apart from their car;
  • their main home if they have let it out or used it for business;
  • shares; and
  • business assets.

We can help with all aspects of self assessment, including filing returns on your behalf. Please contact us for advice.

How can we help you?

Brearley & Co Accountants are pleased to offer a free, no obligation, initial consultation with one of our experts who will be happy to discuss your business needs and how we can help you.